Friday, September 15, 2006

Up ThRE iN the SkY....

One of those mad days when I was running with the fast pace of the commercial capital of the country, trying to fit myself with the struggle for survival and by the end of it all it was the lackadaisical old Calcuttan who decided against the lifeline of Mumbai, the trains. I settled for a luxury of the auto. At one of the signals there are always kids selling something or begging…..and in their hands did I see the Indian tricolor only to realize that the Independence Day celebration was nearing. Sad how we have forgotten the national day of attaining freedom in the quest of liberating ourselves!
Anyways refused the usual ones, and then suddenly the glitter of the innocent eyes caught my attention. It added to say a lot more when I discovered the smile on this little ones face. At a distance oblivious of the difficulties and challenges of survival the little soul seemed a lost angel. Couldn’t resist the temptation, of a tête-à-tête with innocence. She came close. The soiled hands, the tattered clothes….external identity ceased to matter….i could have just been with this four year old lil girl for the smell of old me, untouched by crude reality till time stopped.
And then the sudden bustle of traffic made me realize how special those few moments were. A smile that jus restored the feeling of a beautiful life. I got a flag from her,priced rupees 5 only. And thought about the last 23 yrs of independence. Its worth every moment of celebration.
I am glad about who I am….of what I have and what I am gonna be.
Happy Independence Day.

13th August 2006
00.45 hrs

No comments: